Hi Robert, Great video! I think our choices of article were quite similar, but mine focused more on the negative mental effect. However, I find PCR/CIS Negative Correlation to be quite interesting; does it mean that we shouldn't help others during emergencies, if we don't want to be seen as incompetent? Also, did the author share the survey example; what kind of questions and criteria used for this analysis? Thanks, Robert!
sorry took so long to respond! not a fan of learning a new backend. I read your comment _after_ posting my comment to _your_ post. We really are on the same wavelength here. How exciting!
Hi Robert. Thanks for sharing. Your video reminds me of the flood disaster happening in central China last year. In that disaster, social media played an extremely important role in transmitting rescue and aid information. Although I wasn’t in China at that time, I reposted the info frequently through social media platforms in the hope of letting more requests for help and accessible aid could be seen by those who were in need and those who were offering help. Hearing about others’ tragedies made me sad, but seeing so many people worried about the people who were suffering made me feel the warmth and see the resilience of the larger society. However, it also reinforced the negative impression of the local government because they did not react appropriately and quickly to ensure people’s safety. I personally won’t blame the community for their incompetency and limited resilience because they didn’t have so much power and resources to help themselves in a situation where aiding and human resources were usually controlled by the government. I’m curious about how would the community member see their community as resilient and competent. Would it be possible that the incompetent and inresilient aspects to be depicted and exaggerated by social media which might cover up the positive aspect?
My brain melted about halfway through your retort. As a Luddite, I'm not at all interested in government, I serve my community, directly, and that's all that matters to me. You've poignantly described your feelings, my feelings, offering virtual aid to our friends & family suffering storm surges. To the extent that governments manipulate social media, of course incompetence will be enhanced. To me, the warmth you felt serving storm surge survivors online should be "fed forward" on social media.
I encourage anyone reading this thread to Ctrl-+ several times to reflect upon deeper meanings.
Hi Robert! Nice topic! Your video intrigued me to explore more in this topic and this article. I am really curious about your opinion and comment on the research methods and research results. How would you critique them?
Hi Robert,
ReplyDeleteGreat video!
I think our choices of article were quite similar, but mine focused more on the negative mental effect. However, I find PCR/CIS Negative Correlation to be quite interesting; does it mean that we shouldn't help others during emergencies, if we don't want to be seen as incompetent? Also, did the author share the survey example; what kind of questions and criteria used for this analysis? Thanks, Robert!
sorry took so long to respond! not a fan of learning a new backend. I read your comment _after_ posting my comment to _your_ post. We really are on the same wavelength here. How exciting!
DeleteHi Robert. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYour video reminds me of the flood disaster happening in central China last year. In that disaster, social media played an extremely important role in transmitting rescue and aid information. Although I wasn’t in China at that time, I reposted the info frequently through social media platforms in the hope of letting more requests for help and accessible aid could be seen by those who were in need and those who were offering help. Hearing about others’ tragedies made me sad, but seeing so many people worried about the people who were suffering made me feel the warmth and see the resilience of the larger society. However, it also reinforced the negative impression of the local government because they did not react appropriately and quickly to ensure people’s safety. I personally won’t blame the community for their incompetency and limited resilience because they didn’t have so much power and resources to help themselves in a situation where aiding and human resources were usually controlled by the government.
I’m curious about how would the community member see their community as resilient and competent. Would it be possible that the incompetent and inresilient aspects to be depicted and exaggerated by social media which might cover up the positive aspect?
My brain melted about halfway through your retort. As a Luddite, I'm not at all interested in government, I serve my community, directly, and that's all that matters to me. You've poignantly described your feelings, my feelings, offering virtual aid to our friends & family suffering storm surges. To the extent that governments manipulate social media, of course incompetence will be enhanced. To me, the warmth you felt serving storm surge survivors online should be "fed forward" on social media.
DeleteI encourage anyone reading this thread to Ctrl-+ several times to reflect upon deeper meanings.
Hi Robert! Nice topic! Your video intrigued me to explore more in this topic and this article. I am really curious about your opinion and comment on the research methods and research results. How would you critique them?
ReplyDeleteWe need a new paradigm! Gratification theory does not explain the warmth Shiyue described serving the needs of flood victims online.
Delete